Power Instinct/Gōketsuji Ichizoku for the SNES/SFC

Joined Jul 2004
976 Posts | 1+
USA
Any fans of Power Instinct aka Gōketsuji Ichizoku around here? I hadn't played the original on SNES in many, many years until tonight. I was extremely surprised to find a very well polished fighting game that was years ahead of its time! My memory did not serve me well at all. I probably haven't played it since it was a new cart for SNES to be honest, but I played it for about 3 hours solid tonight.

The game has a very fast and fluid combo system that easily rivals anything SNK or Capcom were doing at the time, in fact I'd say it surpasses anything Capcom had done up unto that point in time. I was able to effortlessly chain together very nice 3-5 hit combos. The game has forward and reverse dashing with a simple tap, tap forward or backwards, air blocking, mid air specials, and chain combos.

The characters are full of awesome quirky fun, that really I haven't seen anywhere else outside of this series. I used to play Matrimelee a lot on my Neo-Geo AES, but never realized the old titles were so well put together as well. I know there is a sequel also released on Playstation, so I'm going to go on a quest to find it now as well, as I still have an old modded PS1 siting about the closet :lol

I do remember finding this obscure SNES cart for $5 one day. Very very interesting fighter, just a shame the sequels were import only. I wish I had a chance to play the Saturn port of 3.