Crisis on Conscience

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
So I broke down and purchased a ps4 a few games and a year of playstation plus. I originally went to get a 3d blu ray player for my room so when the kids had the ps3 tied up in the living room I could still watch whatever I wanted. Instead I came home with the above mentioned. Its cool, no one is going to go hunger or miss soccer practice but I've already blown my self imposed entertainment budget this year and started to feel bad. So instead of opening the ps4 and playing the #%#T out of it like I really want to I hid it in my closet telling myself I just got a jump on Christmas shopping. Now the playstation whispers to me in my sleep. Every time I get something out of my closet I pick the box up or at least look at it and contemplate.

The best part right now is there's very little I want to play on it. Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4 are about the only current games that I'd really want to play but they're almost certainly going to be better looking on the pc and thanks to steam a crap ton cheaper when they get a little more age on them. Bloodborne is the only exclusive I could find with decent reviews and ratings but I'm starting to lose interest in action-rpgs.

So........... Im' going to try to wait but there's just something about the unboxing and that new console smell.

First, :lol

Ahem... did you get one of the bundles? I think my local Walmart has a Batman bundle, and a maybe Last of us? Do they have a Witcher bundle? I personally wouldn't want the Batman bundle. I have one Batman game Arkham City and that is enough for me.

I think I am just overly fed up with the dark gloomy brutal failed Hero stuff. It is in the movies and the games. I want something lite and fun for a change. I know I never would have thought I would say this but I long for the Adam West Batman. At least there is still fun to be had in the Lego Batman games. I really think one of the best Batman games was Batman: Return of the Joker for the NES and the original Gameboy was the best.

Yes that new smell. It is sort of intoxicating. :D

retro junkie said:
First, :lol

Ahem... did you get one of the bundles? I think my local Walmart has a Batman bundle, and a maybe Last of us? Do they have a Witcher bundle? I personally wouldn't want the Batman bundle. I have one Batman game Arkham City and that is enough for me.

yup

I think I am just overly fed up with the dark gloomy brutal failed Hero stuff. It is in the movies and the games. I want something lite and fun for a change. I know I never would have thought I would say this but I long for the Adam West Batman. At least there is still fun to be had in the Lego Batman games. I really think one of the best Batman games was Batman: Return of the Joker for the NES and the original Gameboy was the best.

I was born in the 80's but my impressionable years were the 90's so the grungy brooding anti-hero just complimented the grungy and melancholy music, it just feels natural to me!

but with that said I lived off of 60's batman reruns when nick at night was a viable tv viewing option

Yes that new smell. It is sort of intoxicating. :D

or really that "old" console smell when you find a new addition to the collection

the ps4 may actually make it to Christmas, its still sitting in my closet and I just thought about it because my credit card bill came in today!

I almost considered buying one for FFXIV and ESO and Destiny. ESO and Destiny in particular, since you can only group up with people on the same console and everyone I know plays those two games on the PS4.

I'm still thinking about it tbh, but can't really justify it since I'd probably not play them very often. My Wii U and Xbox One don't get much playtime as it is.

I still don't have a PS4.. I think that Star Wars Battlefront II 2 is the only game really urging me to jump on new consoles...

And that is only if my friends are exclusively playing the console versions since the PC version would be cheaper for me in the long run...

I was standing and looking at the games today at Walmart. (Poor place to look for games) They had a PS4 Gold for $249. I was thinking, that was a great price for next Gen. But I just couldn't get anything stirred up. The Last Guardian is the only thing that really caught my eye.

Playstation had that promotional period where they were selling off those gold ps4's for $50 off (and boy was I tempted) but it's not a pro and I really want to get a pro and play around with the VR attachment.

Grindspine said:
I still don't have a PS4.. I think that Star Wars Battlefront II 2 is the only game really urging me to jump on new consoles...

And that is only if my friends are exclusively playing the console versions since the PC version would be cheaper for me in the long run...

Annnd Battlefront 2 will be on PC...

Are there any PS4 exclusives that are must-have games?

The Uncharted Series is about the only thing I can think of. The Oder 1866, Dragon Quest Builders, Ratchet and Clank - other exclusives I can think of but completely unworthy. I understand NIOH, Until Dawn, and the persona series are exclusive to the ps4 as well but I've not experienced any of those.

In my opinion exclusivity seems less of a selling point this generation, unless you're speaking Nintendo who since at least the wii seems complacent as being the secondary system. You buy an xbox or playstation for the AAA stuff and a Nintendo for Mario, Zelda, etc.

targetrasp said:
so its been two years now, did you ever buy one?

I did actually, picked up a PS4 last year when there was a good sale on the version that came with Uncharted 4.

Also, FFXIV outgrew my PC with the last expansion :-\ so I had to switch over to PS4 anyway.

But actually the game on PS4 I've really spent a lot of time on so far has been World of Final Fantasy. It's like Final Fantasy Pokemon. I've got 90 hours right now and I'm still working on getting all of the trophies.

Do you have to be a final fantasy die hard to like world of final fantasy? I just ask because it seems like 18 years since I REALLY enjoyed the most recent final fantasy release.

I would say no, probably. It's meant to be a self contained game. The references to other Final Fantasy games are neat, but not necessary to understanding this game. Although knowing about Final Fantasy enemies can be useful; for example knowing that Shiva uses ice attacks so you should probably use a fire Mirage (what the Pokemon are called) to fight her.