Donkey Kong 64 revisited

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
England
vortal_pic_11460.jpg

In December 99, I got Donkey Kong 64 for Christmas. I remember finding it to be pretty good, not in the same calibur as Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, but still a solid enough adventure game with plenty of variety and challenges. This adventure was shortlived, however, as a few months later the game "dissapeared" (please, don't ask how, but i'm pretty sure it was stolen). Now, almost 5 years later I have the game in my collection once again after seeing it very cheap in a second hand gamestore (you never know, it could be my old one that was stolen  :p). So onto my second opinion...

I'm not quite as far as I was the first time round (I got to the 5th level and am currently on the 3rd), but I still have pretty much the same opinion on it. This game really didn't do as well as it should, although I suppose it's down to the tough competition it recieved from other first party games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. The game's only fault (and sadly a fairly high one) was repitition. The game turns into a bit of a collect-a-thon, with 5 different characters to collect various items. However, there's enough variety to keep you going, and if you're patient enough it's an enjoyable enough experience.

The game boils down to this: You start off as Donkey Kong, wandering around an Island called "DK Isles" which is under attack from a huge boat shaped as the game's bad guy, King K.rool. You only have access to the first level at first, where you'll be able to rescue Diddy Kong. The 3D levels have simular themes to the DK Country games....a jungle, a factory, an underwater level etc. Your task in each level is to collect regular bananas, and also to collect golden bananas by completing certain tasks in a fairly "Mario 64" esque way. Each character has different ablities, and you'll only be able to get certain golden bananas with each one. Aside from ablities, the characters also have their own gun (Donkey has a "coconut shooter" Diddy has a "peanut pistol" and so on) and their own musical instrument which unlocks certain doors when you use the right characters one as well as wipes out badguys. The variable actions that you can do with each character is what makes the game so good in my opinion. You're urged to use each character if you want to progress. Once you've got enough regular bananas, you fight the boss and proceed to the next level and so on. Oh, and there's tons to unlock if you catch "banana fairies" in the game.  :D

I reccomend anyone to at least try this gem out, but if you're not patient with collect-a-thon type games, then maybe you should give it a miss.

I never did play this.... this is one of the N64 games I wished I played.

so you would definitely recommend it to anyone?

BV :hat

Not everyone. I wouldn't reccomend it if you get impatient with collecting things in each level. It's a very big game, too. But I just find it tons of fun.

There's also a multi-player battle mode but I haven't really gotten to try it out.

"I never did play this.... this is one of the N64 games I wished I played."

You're kidding me, right BV??? I cherished this game and still do man, you must play it! The overall tone of it is a bit kiddy but imo that's what makes it so fun. It was alot like Mario in a way and even funner in some ways too. Your not a true N64 fan till' you play it BV!! :lol

yes I'm a fan of the series and i wasn't disappointed with the switch to 3D. in fact i got beat the game and collected everything you could get

I am bumping this post.... I think retro did a good job on it :)

and X2... I AM A FAN :D :lol I am just a fan that didn't get to play EVERYTHING :lol

†B†V† :hat

Actually, I probably haven't gone back to it since making that "review". :lol I just can't be bothered. One day i'll attempt to fight the beast that is Donkey King 64 again.

Retro Hero said:
Actually, I probably haven't gone back to it since making that "review".  :lol I just can't be bothered. One day i'll attempt to fight the beast that is Donkey King 64 again.
well... if you EVER want to make a review of it for the Game Addicts section, let me know :)

I'd be MORE than happy to host it up for you.

I kick myself, I got the DK64 bundle (Lovely green with DK64) during that Christmas of 1999. Was quite a nice. The main reason I played this, was finding out that Donkey Kong original was hidden in the game...good times indeed :)

Ghouls N Ghosts said:
I kick myself, I got the DK64 bundle (Lovely green with DK64) during that Christmas of 1999. Was quite a nice. The main reason I played this, was finding out that Donkey Kong original was hidden in the game...good times indeed :)
I never knew that... the original is hidden in the game?

And of course there's the infamous "DK rap" at the beginning. ::D

Here - here - here we go:

So they're finally here, performing for you;
If you know the words, you can join in too;
Put your hands together if you wanna clap
As we take you through this monkey rap!

Huh! DK!! Donkey Kong!!

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well;
He's finally back to kick some tail!
His coconut gun can fire in spurts,
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!
He's bigger, faster and stronger too
He's the first member of the DK Crew!

Huh! DK!! Donkey Kong!!
DK!! Donkey Kong is here!!

This Kong's got style so listen up dudes
She can shrink in size to suit her mood!
She's quick and nimble when she needs to be
She can float through the air and climb up trees!
If you choose her, you'll not choose wrong
With a skip and a hop, she's one cool Kong!

Huh! DK!! Donkey Kong!!

He has no style, he has no grace;
This Kong has a funny face;
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out just for you.
Inflate himself just like a balloon;
This crazy Kong just digs this tune!

Huh! DK!! Donkey Kong!!
DK!! Donkey Kong is here!!

He's back again and about time too
And this time, he's in the mood!
He can fly real high with his jetpack on;
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong!
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune
But Kremlins beware 'cos he's after you!

Huh! DK!! Donkey Kong!!

Finally, he's here for you,
It's the last member of the DK Crew!
This Kong's so strong, it isn't funny
He can make a Kremlin cry out for his Mummy!
He can pick up a boulder with relative ease;
Makes crushin' rocks seem such a breeze;
He may move slow, he can't jump high;
But this Kong's one hell of a guy!

Huh! C'mon Cranky, take it to the fridge!

Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells;
Grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells.
Oh yeah!!
Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells;
Grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells.
Oh yeah!!

Note: the first case of a Nintendo 64 title saying the word "hell" aparantly.

I played that one, but I was really frustrated with the fac tthat you needed an expansion pack (which I could never get). And when I did play it, I ended up going around in circles. I had a blast with the multiplayer though. If I had the chance, I would go through and play it again.

Superman said:
I played that one, but I was really frustrated with the fac tthat you needed an expansion pack (which I could never get). And when I did play it, I ended up going around in circles. I had a blast with the multiplayer though. If I had the chance, I would go through and play it again.

you couldn't get the expansion pack?
They are not too hard to come by :) there is always 3rd party ones as well :)

Bv :hat

Well, it wasn't so much as not being able to find one, but rather to afford it. But thiking about games like this kinda made me happy cuz with the Revolution I can play them again, for free! Hurray, now poor fools like me can play games again. Of course, I'll still be left out of the loop a bit as far as new games go. Still, better than nothing.

donkey kong 64 was a fun game, i really enjoyed reading your post
kinda makes me wanna pick it up and beat it all over again

i got mad at my ps2 and i've now started playing my n64 and it's my favorite game to play...I actually have it paused right now...lol :p