your meaning to tell me that with this ugly thing strapped to the bottom of the nintendo you can play compact disks of games?

It wasn't that ugly.  I've had a few of them before.

Sim City 64 was really cool back in the day.  I have to be honest... I never knew the 64 Disk Drive was released.  I was awaiting the release in the US back in 1997-98 I believe it was.  anyway... I was watching to see if there was a Japanese release.  I heard a rumor about the US release 64 Disk Drive being cancelled.... but I never heard about the Japanese release making it out UNTIL about the end of 2001 when I saw one for sale with about 6 games.  I soaked that up quickly. 

There were a few games included:  Polygon Studio, Sim City 64, a couple other mario artist games and the F-zero expansion pack.

IMO the expansion packs for games was a cool idea.  Supposively one of the Zelda games were to have dungeons that you could create and all.... SUPPOSIVELY.  The Zelda Master Quest (that was released for the Gamecube in the Wind Waker pre-order promtional disc) was supposively 100% done for the 64 Disk Drive, but never released.  I am still trying to find if that game ever made it out since it was 100% finished.  There would have to be a few around somewhere.... promotional or what-ever.

Sim City allowed you to zoom in and actually walk your city streets. It was a novelty... but it was fun at the same time.

Bv :hat

So I imagine it is really hard to get a CD game in the US? I am heard of the SEga CD and it looks like it works in the similar way. Hmmfph! Interesting.

well... yes in a way, but it's not a CD... it's more like a zip drive and zip disk, but shaped differently.

The games were read AND writable... SO that let you create custom content and it supposively saved it to save spots on the disk drive cart.

†B†V† :hat

Interesting how much stuff like this I never knew about. But being 7 or 8 with no computer I couldn't get much news on what could or should come out. These days I feel much more informed.

But reading that article from Wikipedia, it makes me wonder why they thought it would be such a failure.

Haha, man I remember when this thing created a ton of buzz. The RAM expansion and this disk drive were going to "take gaming to another level!" ...and then the rumors flew of it being cancelled. And then it's release was cancelled in the U.S. A sad day.

I'm kind of glad it didn't come out though. When you think about how expensive the cartridge games already were compared to the cd games...I couldn't imagine the price of buying the DD64 and then a NEW type of cart. I think I may still have some old Gamepro's that talked about this though.