Sega Dreamcast Happy Birthday Dreamcast! 10 years old!

Joined Dec 2005
15K Posts | 0+
Fraser, Michigan
http://kotaku.com/5099517/the-dreamcast-turns-ten-today

Sega's last stab at console dominance is now ten years old. The Dreamcast was launched on November 27, 1998 in Japan, back when global hardware launches were almost unheard of. It wasn't exactly a success.

The Japanese version of the Sega Dreamcast launched with a rather paltry four forgettable games: Godzilla Generations, Virtua Fighter 3tb, PenPen TRiIceLon and July. Sonic Adventure, originally planned to hit at launch, was delayed. Other titles that came shortly after, like Incoming and Seventh Cross, didn't help matters.

Given the line-up, the Japanese launch was somewhat of a dud, far from the early success of its North American counterpart which hit almost a year later on September 9, 1999. When Sony announced the PlayStation 2, less than six months after the Japanese Dreamcast launch, it ended the console war — at least in terms of perception — before it had a chance to begin.

The Dreamcast still managed to deliver some of the best software of the generation, with titles like Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, Phantasy Star Online, Typing of the Dead and Samba de Amigo still fondly remembered.

My first hands on time with the Dreamcast came when I rented an imported console, along with Blue Stinger and The House of the Dead 2, for a Sega filled weekend. Fortunately, those two titles didn't dissuade me from picking up a North American console at the midnight launch.

Please feel free to share your fondest Dreamcast memories and pour out a bit of your virtual forty for this enduring casualty of the console war.

Happy B-day to one of my favorite consoles ever. :D

You know... I am EXTREMELY surprised there are no other comments here on the Dreamcast.

What happened to the Dreamcast fans? Honestly... It seems like many Dreamcast fans have jumped ship over the last 2 years. I only know 2 people now that own Dreamcast systems or play Dreamcast games still.

Where did all the Dreamcast fans go?

†B†V† :hat

Good question, I think the DC fans went back to Genesis or Saturn :lol Sad really, but wow I really do miss that badboy...It breaks my heart if I hook one up to an HDTV the signal looks really blurry :(

You know, besides Sonic Adventure my favorite game on the system was Sonic Shuffle? :lol Nobody liked that game *tear*

MegaDrive20XX said:
Sonic Shuffle, the lonely Mario Party clone :( *sigh* If you like it, that's okay with me ^^

I remember renting that game when I had my Dreamcast. :'(

I loved it though..lol.

I still have my Dreamcast. I haven't used it in a while because I haven't had time to do anything lately. Work, eat, sleep. I hate this time of year...

Hmmm.... I just saw this, don't know how I missed it.
My Dreamcast games are right under my desk, next to my feet, in a plastic box. When I pull out my Dreamcast, Bangai-O must be played, it is a standard procedure and a tradition that I must uphold. :) Next Marvel vs Capcom 2, Record of the Lodoss War, Gunbird 2, Powerstone, Mars Matrix, Dead or Alive 2, Project Justice, and maybe some Armada and Phantasy Star. I was playing Skies of Arcadia earlier this week. Crazy Taxi according to the mood swing. Just a few of my favorites. I try to fit all of my systems into my schedule, but it is difficult to do sometimes.

A great system that had a, sadly, short life. :'(

Record of Lodoss War and Power Stone! I loved those games!

After posting here, this past Saturday became "Super Dreamcast Saturday" as I fired up the ole Dreamcast and dusted off a bunch of games. I spent the day going through a lot of old favorites. I was awed all over again, as I usually am, with the Dreamcast games. It made me long for Sega to get back into the hardware business. They just haven't been the same since they had their own system, IMO.