Breathing life into an old board

Joined Jul 2004
1K Posts | 1+
Bmount
Did neo geo love just disappear? I've not had my aes or my mvs in years so I've not posted anything since then but surely some of you game junkies still own the epitome of most collectors collections. Well I take that back, my Nam cabinet is in my little brothers dorm room still getting play so technically I do own an mvs but I never get to see it.

I take that back, the Pioneer laser active is the holy grail of game collectors, especially with all the appropriate add ons!

targetrasp said:
Did neo geo love just disappear? I've not had my aes or my mvs in years so I've not posted anything since then but surely some of you game junkies still own the epitome of most collectors collections. Well I take that back, my Nam cabinet is in my little brothers dorm room still getting play so technically I do own an mvs but I never get to see it.

It is still somewhat alive... however, I believe it has died down. Many gamers that had the collections sold theirs. MOST of the original neogeocd.net / neogeocd.com members sold their Neo Geo Cd collections... and the site started to slow down.

I personally haven't touched my Neo Geo CD, AES, or MVS in 1 year... I've even contemplated selling off my English Neo Geo CD system and game collection. I won't though... at least not now :lol

The whole gaming demographic has changed. The majority of gamers want to just play the games and don't collect or pay higher prices for games. The collector segment was much larger a decade ago... as well as those willing to pay the Neo Geo prices. IF you got into the Neo Geo... you knew it was going to cost money but was worth it. I'm not sure the "worth it for the price" attitude really exists anymore. I could be wrong.

BV :hat

I noticed a lot of high value stuff has dropped a good bit - I'm assuming demand? I remember even cheap-0 crap like plumbers don't wear ties and night trap were fetching much higher prices then than they are now, the CDX has gotten near game gear price, and even the nomad is reasonable. Heck, I saw a copy of chrono cross at a local game store for like $40.00 - good cart only copy, I remember those going for 70s at flea markets at one point. It's kinda sad for the collector, great if you're looking to buy though.

Definitely a demand drop.

I would be willing to say, 70% of gamers now (est and not based of facts) want games just to play... or will rent with Gamefly. They don't care about manuals and packaging. I will say... early 2000's, I believe that crowd was in the 30% range. Again... this could be wrong. I believe a big shift occured in the market and habits of how people buy. On the same token, they types of games they have bought changed as well. With titles being remade into HD titles... adding online play to older titles (ala Goldeneye)... and other games made available on the Wii Virtual Console, PSN, and XBOX Live.... this really changed the markets IMO.

BV :hat

I believe you for sure, and would imagine your estimations are generous at best. Outside of the online community I don't know any collectors anymore. I sold off the vast majority of my collection in 07 about the time my daughter was born and now she's starting to really enjoy video games I've been gradually picking up things and I must say good stuff is getting harder to find but when you do it's cheap compared to the 90's and the 00's. It's sad though, the oldest thing I see at flea markets or yard sales now though are ps2's. I used to never fail, at least once a year you'd run across some treasure; a boxed jaguar, phillips cd1 with a million games, a stack of hu cards for a dollar, my most favorite was a cd case with about 20 old random cds and all the disks to panzer dragoon for the saturn. Now nothing, absolutely nothing. I'd give a kidney to trip over a neo geo aes with a ton of games, another mvs cabinent, or heck even someone's old nintendo collection. It seems like people aren't even selling old stuff anymore.