has there been a decline in interest in the Neo Geo?

Joined May 2004
13K Posts | 1+
Indiana
Do you all think there has been a decline in the Neo Geo AES?

Has it been since the new releases stopped? or why do you think there has been a decline (IF You think that)?

IF you do not think so, please explain.

†B†V† :hat

I think there has. There are not as many people on the ng.com boards, and on the ngcd boards. I think it has a lot to do with the Neogeo dieing, and also I think it has to do with them porting everything new to the Xbox.

Some people have to have a system that produces new games continously. Personally, I love my Neogeo. I play SSII over and over and over.

winter said:
I think there has. There are not as many people on the ng.com boards, and on the ngcd boards. I think it has a lot to do with the Neogeo dieing, and also I think it has to do with them porting everything new to the Xbox.

Some people have to have a system that produces new games continously. Personally, I love my Neogeo. I play SSII over and over and over.

you you thing n-g.com is dying off as well?

I don't think neo geo cd.net is.... as we have been getting increased traffic to the site again.  Ever since the change over and some updates.... its starting to go better.

Now we have to revive the forums :)

Well...the fact of the matter is that most of the new Neogeo releases suck. Granted, I hear SSV is pretty descent, but I still think SS and SSII are the best in the series.

I think people are starting to re-think owning an AES. I am sure they figure that since the Neogeo is dead anyone, the new releases pretty much suck, and all the old games are on the Neogeo CD for a fraction of the cost, the best idea is to go with the Neogeo CD.

I am not saying that I think that way. I am just saying that there are a lot of people out there that probably DO think that way.

yet oddly enough it seems the neogeocd has slowed down a lot as well.

well...unfortunately many people are just not into classic games, and MOST are into RPG's. I would say 90% of my friends could care less that I own a Neogeo. The few that do only look at it as a novelty item. Granted, they would play it if I brought it over, but the idea of actually owning one does not appeal to them.

Those that are into classic games are only interested in the SNES.

For me, the Neogeo is the perfect system. It is pretty, fast, and does not require one to have a lot of patience. It is basically the only video game system that I have time or interest in playing.

everyone I know are into sports... or racing games.
Some into FPS.. but none into RPG's.

They also liked the Res Evil and Eternal Darkness type of games as well.

The neo was never that popular among people.... but even among the Neo folk.. they its not as popular.

IF there is a decline in interest I certainly hope it drives down some of the costs on AES carts :lol

I have long predicted that when SNKP finally stopped making new AES carts, the bottom would fall out of the prices of the last few years.

The Japanese have already lowered their prices drastically to keep up with the lower demand. NG.com seems more like a group of foul mouthed spammers than anything resembling what it was only a year ago.

Frankly, the new blood and some of the old blood there is not good for the Neo Geo, and may turn off people with the money to get into the hobby.

I think the decline in AES can be attributed to the price drops in MVS games. The initial setup costs are now more or less comprable to an AES setup. The main difference is the game prices. With so many new members going the CMVS or Supergun/MVS route, the AES has dropped in sales dramatically. That is very good news for us new to the AES market.

GAMEFAN

Gamefan said:
I think the decline in AES can be attributed to the price drops in MVS games. The initial setup costs are now more or less comprable to an AES setup. The main difference is the game prices.  With so many new members going the CMVS or Supergun/MVS route, the AES has dropped in sales dramatically. That is very good news for us new to the AES market.

The MVS is the reason I am considering selling my AES. MVS prices are usually cheaper than the AES, by a huge margin most of the time.

This thread is quite old now but I haven't really noticed too much of a decreased interest in Neo. The still high prices for Homecarts certainly suggests a healthy market for the AES.

If anything has hurt the NEO scene in general its the emulation explosion and the Xbox. One thing I've learned over the years is there are people actually interested and fans of the Neo Geo, and there are people who just like to play Neo Geo games but have no interest in actually contributing to the Neo community in a meaningful manner, but they sure like to complain about the prices, even though they don't really have to deal with those prices.

If you didn't hear, a new Neo Geo AES Homebrew title was released a few months ago (July 2006),
from Germany called "Last Hope". And we saw 5 Atomiswave SNK games produced in the last year!!

In the next couple of months, SNK is releasing more "existing" AES game titles for: PS2, XBox, and PSP.
And there's talk of using the new Taito Type 2-X hardware to produce new SNK games!!

If you didn't get or play Last Hope, the newest AES homebrew game,
you missed out on a really solid and difficult shooting game!!
(The difficulty level reminds me of Magician Lord).
...You can still buy it for the Neo Geo CD (available soon).

I can't wait to get the new Metal Slug Anthology for PSP coming out in November 2006.

attachment.php

I don't know about you ... but I'm still interested in the Neo Geo!!