Blazing Star

Joined May 2004
13K Posts | 1+
Indiana
Who has played this game?

who likes it?

please drop some opinions here! :)

†B†V† :hat

I have played this game rather briefly. I really liked it, but it is MVS only I believe.:( Definitely one of the best shooters on the Neo.

Nice little shooter yah

And I do think its MVS only..maybe AES too? not sure but definatly not on NGCD.

I'm definatly hoping to luck up and find it at a yard sell or flea market!!! that's a price tag and a half!

:lol

I really want to play the game bad!

The MVS cart is only $80-100 though.... so thats not too bad...
How exactly does the game play?

It plays well. Quite tough but not impossible. Lots of bullets and colours etc. A couple of levels have slightly confusing backgrounds that make the enemy shots a little hard to distinguish. But overall its a very decent shooter (hence to some extent the high aes price tag). There are a lot of good conversions about as well, which you can sometimes get for a cheap sum (my conversion cost me the equivalent of about $65...and I then sold my MVS for about $85 :) :))

how does it compare to pulstar?

its odd how the game art looks a lot like Pulstars (or vice versa... I forget which was made 1st).

Bluevoodu said:
its odd how the game art looks a lot like Pulstars (or vice versa... I forget which was made 1st).

Really? I know what you mean...but SNK does have their own style...so I guess I don't find it too odd.

I haven't checked out Pulstar that much yet..I'll whip out the Phantom 1, give it a good bash and get back to you.

well.. I just meant the "title text graphics" of pulstar and blazing star are the same... and I wondered how they were related.. IF at all.

BV :hat

blazing star was released on MVS and AES japanese only tho you can get conversions of it for about $180. Its the sequel to Pulstar.
I prefer Pulstar out of the two, but out of all neo geo shooters i still prefer Last resort.

Pulstar was developed by Aicom. Blazing Star was developed by Yumekobo. They technically aren't sequels, although, they share numerous playmechanics in common:

Hold down the fire button to use a charge shot.
By tapping the shot button very fast, the standard shot becomes more powerful.
The Dino 246 is playable in both games.

Pulstar has a very R-Type-ish weapon system (no real surprise considering that some ex-Irem employees were the core of Aicom). Pulstar is more memory-driven (again, see Irem) and has a very straighforward score system.

Blazing Star has a more general power-up system (each ship can power-up four times, done by grabbing a universal capsule). The game is more kinetic than Pulstar, and relies more on bullet interaction. Blazing Star also features numerous high-score tactics and bonuses (in the form of various chaining systems and multipliers).

Both games used heavy amounts of pre-rendering to generate the sprites. No doubt that the inclusion of the Dino 246 and the Dino 135 from Pulstar were results of prior Aicom staff helping out Yumekobo with the graphics engine.