N64 Obsolete?

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
Indiana
With Mario Kart: Double Dash on the Gamecube as a follow-up to Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros. Melee as a follow up to the original and the Zelda disk with OOC and Majora's Mask all on the Gamecube too, is the N64 totally obsolete?

I can't think of any must-have games on the N64 that haven't been released on other systems or moved up to the Gamecube by now.

What are you talking about? It still has plenty of games.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games, CBFD, Lylat Wars...

There's also about 4 good wrestling games on the N64. The N64 is infact the best console for wrestling games. They're seriously good and i'm not even much of a wrestling fan.

Also, Mario 64 is superior to Sunshine and Mario Kart 64 is superior to Double Dash.

I played a game of Perfect Dark not too long ago. It was a 3 vs. 3 match, with 3 players vs. 3 bots. I think it managed to get 10 fps max... Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I personally think that sucks...

I don't think so, personally.

I think MK64 is better than MK: DD and there is nothing like Pokemon Snap or Perfect Dark (IMO) on the Gamecube, so I still have plenty of reason to keep my N64 and play it. Also, I enjoy playing the 64 Zeldas on their original home more than playing the collection versions.

Retro Hero said:
Also, Mario 64 is superior to Sunshine and Mario Kart 64 is superior to Double Dash.

After playing a lot of both Double Dash and 64, I really like the feel and the graphics in Double Dash a whole lot more than the 64 version.

I haven't had that much trouble with it. I used to play N64 Kart with 3 friends most of my freshman year of college. I guess I just got used to cheap tactics back then. The AI in Double Dash has got nothin' on that.

The graphics on the 64 version (which I played last night) look HORRIBLE in comparison to Double Dash, very plain and bland...

well.... perfect dark, goldeneye (the new one will not have the same magic)

Mario Tennis and Mario kart (sure, newer versions are coming, but each is unique).

F-Zero X (unique)

Pilotwings (how many hours of fun did we have shooting the cannon guy into the antenna, grinder?) :lol

Winback (especially if you do not have a Ps2)
Sin And Punishment (you cannot get this goodness anywhere else)
Wave Race 64 (still considered one of the greats... even though I really like the GC Waverace version)
The64 Castlevanias (yeah... some people didn't like them, but I did. They had a castlevania feel to them)
Ogre battle 64
mischeif makers
Hybrid heaven (cool game)
Starfox 64 (awesome... no starfox wil touch it... unfortunately, the last all flying starfox made. hopefully we will return to our roots)
Turok 1 (purely awesome)
Turok 2-Rage Wars (great games as well.. the end of the Turok serious... at least when the Turok Series was good)
Resident Evil 2 (Best version in many people's eyes. It had the best ratings as well).

I could keep on going :)

Its not dead at all!

there are still good games on there!

BV

Not really, I didn't see any "must have" games on that list that people would choose the 64 over the cube for.

must have to one is not the same as the must haves of another.

I still play my N64. Its a great system to play..... Its fun.... and I love the games on it.

So I would say that it is not obsolete.... because There are still a lot of people playing it.

IF you were to say that it was obsolete because no one is developing.. I Would agree with that, but there are MANY that still play their Nintendo 64 :)

†B†V† :hat

If you look technology-wise, heck yeah the N64 is obsolete.

If you look play-wise, I'm sure what BV said about them is true.

Grindspine said:
Not really, I didn't see any "must have" games on that list that people would choose the 64 over the cube for.

Well I agree with that for the most part, because (in my opinion) the Gamecube is the best Nintendo system to date...or at least will be in time.

The 64 was really a multi-player system. It was pretty much the first (not counting PC) of it's kind to allow a 4-player experience. And it's one of the best multi-player systems there's ever been thanks to a little game called Goldeneye. As a single player system though, the 64 was probably the weakest, even if it did have one of the greatest games ever (Ocarina of Time).

6 of the greatest games of time you mean ;)
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark
Blast Corps

Some may not agree with me on #6 though :lol

Mario 64 and majora did

If anything.. they were not TOO far off.
I loved Majoras mask... nearly (if not as much) as ocarina of time.

BLAST CORPS!! I loved that game! It was so fun just to destroy everything with the different vehicles and stuff.

I only have an N64 and it's great!! Zeldas, sports, Spidey. I'm in no hurry to get a new system.

:af