Halo 2 Story

Joined Feb 2005
6K Posts | 0+
In front of my computer
Hey guys
I just beat Halo 2 today, and lets just say Im lost. I was sorta on the phone while I was playing, so I sorta blame it on that, but I dont really know what happened... Anyways, I guess I just wanted to know your thoughts on the game. If there is a topic on this already, I apologize, Im just sorta in a hurry.

*********SPOILERS******** (from wikipedia.org)

Halo 2 opens with an awards ceremony on the Cairo weapons platform orbiting Earth. This ceremony is cut short when a Covenant flagship jumps out of slipspace and sends boarding parties towards the weapons platforms. These boarding parties are carrying heavy explosives designed to take out the MAC (Magnetic Accelerator Cannon) guns capable of destroying the Covenant flagships. Master Chief finds and disarms the bomb with the help of Cortana, then sends it to one of the Covenant ships and detonates it. They then head to Earth where the Covenant attack the city of New Mombasa, repelled with the assistance of the Master Chief. It continues across another ring world, dubbed "Delta Halo", as the crew of the UNSC vessel In Amber Clad attempt to discover the reason for the Covenant's incursion. There, the Master Chief kills one of the Covenant's three High Prophet leaders, which ultimately triggers a civil war inside the Covenant. Meanwhile, the fleet commander who led the Covenant forces in Halo is stripped of his rank, only to assume the role of the Arbiter, the greatest of the Covenant warriors. His first mission, to silence a heretic who doubts the Prophets' teachings, starts him on a path which will make him question his beliefs.

The Master Chief and the Arbiter meet upon the release of the Flood and the discovery of the Prophets' true objective: driven by their ancient religion, they seek to activate Delta Halo, which would cause the death of every sentient being in the galaxy. A mysterious Flood creature called the Gravemind sends the Arbiter and Master Chief in separate directions to prevent The High Prophets from activating Delta Halo.

The Master Chief finds himself upon the nearby Covenant Holy City, High Charity, a gargantuan space station, and pursues the remaining Prophets. After capturing the In Amber Clad, the Flood, led by the Gravemind, arrive on the city and begin to try and capture it. The only remaining High Prophet, Truth, escapes on a Forerunner vessel. The Master Chief stows away on board, but Cortana stays behind in order to detonate the In Amber Clad's engine reactors as a last resort. This will destroy Delta Halo and High Charity, stopping Tartarus from activating it, while preventing the Flood's escape across the galaxy. However, at the end, Cortana not only fails to destroy High Charity, but she also chooses to answer the questions of Gravemind.

Uniting the separatist faction of the Covenant on Delta Halo, and with the help of Sergeant Johnson, the Arbiter succeeds in preventing Tartarus from activating the installation. However, the Halo and its counterparts across the galaxy are left on standby alert, awaiting a trigger signal from "The Ark", whose location is yet unknown, but is believed to be on Earth. Meanwhile, the Forerunner vessel arrives near Earth, with the Master Chief on board. The game ends with a cliffhanger, with the last cutscene showing the Master Chief about to enter the battle to save Earth while Cortana meets Gravemind on High Charity for unknown reasons. The stage is set for the final battles of the Human-Covenant and Covenant civil wars in Halo 3 or Bungie's next project (has yet to be announced). There, without a doubt, will definitely be a Halo 3.

Ah, the wonders of the internet :p

IMO the story was lackluster. Adding the Covenant perspective ruined it for me, not to mention the Arbiter sections. I liked having the role of the sole savior of humanity fighting inhuman alien monstrosities. But, in H2 they speak english and you even play as them. I dunno. They shoulda stuck more to the Halo 1 story style.

I completely agree with Spartan. It's a big reason I strongly believe Halo is the better of the 2 games. In Halo 2 I always just kinda felt like, um, ok where am I now? Seriously, alot of the time I did not know where I was!

yeah thats how I felt when I played too. I just didnt know what was going on. I would pretty much shoot anything that turned the cursor red.... lol

I agree with all of you too. I couldn't tell where or who I was most of the time. I did like the fact that they did do a second perspective on things, but I really don't like the way they executed it.

i never really understood the whole heretic thing with the covenant it kinda adds to much drama and not enough killing (does anyone else understand me)

Bluevoodu said:
... wait.... Halo 2 had a story?

I think I missed that....
:lol

BV :hat

Haha yea, I believe something bout killing aliens and saving the planet? :lol

hmmm i think ive heard of that (does google search "total articles found 4597345867304967956730475604357609857 in game section)

hirushi said:
hmmm i think ive heard of that  (does google search "total articles found 4597345867304967956730475604357609857 in game section)

Hmm...I guess a pretty original story :lol

Playing as the Arbiter actually got me into the story of H2 because it put you in the place of the Covenant and what they were going through, even though I didn't get to play as Master Chief as much, there reallly wasn't a difference, one's a cyborg, one's an alien, that's the only difference, your still shooting things, and your getting two stories in one. That's why I liked H2 storyline more than H1.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=killing+aliens+and+saving+the+planet&btnG=Google+Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,090,000 for killing aliens and saving the planet. (0.30 seconds)

:lol

Playing the Arbiter was cool but I didn't want that kind of thing in the main game. I think it would have made a cool unlockable, ya' know, beat the game on legendary to unlock arbiter missions or something :?

I think they should have distinguished the ARbiter more from the Chief. Really, the Arbiter is identical except for he has active camo and no flashlight. Active camo is a nice touch but it is too brief and the recharge takes too long. On Legendary it is all but useless (unless you are as good as me* :p)

I did beat the level "The Arbiter" with minimal engagments in on Legendary. Of course, this took me like 4 hours.

I think halo 1's story was better. Like, when the flood first appeared, scary, but in halo 2 not really. Do you get what I'm saying?

Halo 1 story was better,but i liked Halo 2,for EVERTHING else,the weapons,vehicles,etc,but the Story for halo 2 was completly HORRIBLE!

Everyone agrees the story line was bad because nobody really cared for the drama and that they just wanted some old fashioned master chief kills everybody action. Am i right or what