Halo 2 Japan Sales Figures

Joined Feb 2005
716 Posts | 0+
Halo 2 only sold 50,000 units in Japan. Is that crazy? I just read this, found it interesting.

Not surprising at all considering how many Xbox consoles sold in Japan :)

Halo 2 sold well... but it didn't sell as well as they wanted it to... Heck, you could still find COllectors editions almost 2 years after launch (in main stores).

†B†V† :hat

I loved all the bundle packs they offered in Japan for the Xbox. I think one of them had like 3 games, a DVD remote, 1 year of Xbox Live, the System for like under $300 lol

Very desperate measures by far. However, I still wish they would have released the PANZER DRAGOON Orta Xbox system over here. Oh what a masterpiece that baby was!

Bluevoodu said:
Halo 2 sold well... but it didn't sell as well as they wanted it to... Heck, you could still find COllectors editions almost 2 years after launch (in main stores).

†B†V† :hat

The game sold 2.4 million copies and earned up to US$125 million in its first 24 hours on store shelves, thus out-grossing the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest as highest grossing release in entertainment history. As of November 9 2005, exactly a year after its release, Halo 2 had sold more than 7 million copies worldwide.

Microsoft also publicly boasted that they expected to sell $100 million on their opening day, and it turns out they actually beat that by an extra $25 mil.

Didn't sell as well as they wanted to? Well, I can't disprove that, not knowing what Microsoft execs did or didn't want at the time. However, I would say they were pleasantly pleased with the results. Anyone who considers those sales to be sub-par needs to give their head a shake.

Yeah, it's just Japan. Shouldn't worry bout it. What I play and what I like, most often will not be liked by others. Oh well. :D

stealth toilet said:
Microsoft also publicly boasted that they expected to sell $100 million on their opening day, and it turns out they actually beat that by an extra $25 mil.

Didn't sell as well as they wanted to? Well, I can't disprove that, not knowing what Microsoft execs did or didn't want at the time. However, I would say they were pleasantly pleased with the results. Anyone who considers those sales to be sub-par needs to give their head a shake.
I guess you have to look at it from the non-news hyped area. Every supplier I talked to (that bought into huge quantities of them) couldn't move them. the suppliers are (a lot of the times) the ones who make the numbers on the sales. Of course, they get data from large retailers and the like... but 2 years AFTER it came out, I can still get the limited edition Halo 2 game (in tin) New... Something doesn't seem right with that.

Many suppliers I knew couldn't get rid of their stock. They all bought into it heavily, but they couldn't sell them out. Like I said... It still sold well... but I know and heard a lot of the pains people had about selling that particular title...

Bv :hat

The Japanese don't care much for FPSs of any kind, which is why most come from the US and Europe. They claim that FPSs give them motion sickness, if you can believe that. :-X

Bluevoodu said:
I guess you have to look at it from the non-news hyped area. Every supplier I talked to (that bought into huge quantities of them) couldn't move them. the suppliers are (a lot of the times) the ones who make the numbers on the sales. Of course, they get data from large retailers and the like... but 2 years AFTER it came out, I can still get the limited edition Halo 2 game (in tin) New... Something doesn't seem right with that.

Many suppliers I knew couldn't get rid of their stock. They all bought into it heavily, but they couldn't sell them out. Like I said... It still sold well... but I know and heard a lot of the pains people had about selling that particular title...

Bv :hat

Because when everybody owns something, nobody is going to be buying it.