Steam Machine is happening!

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
Indiana
http://www.alienware.com/Landings/steammachine/

It appears that Valve has worked with Alienware on making a Steam-oriented console to be released in 2014...

alienware-steam-machine-2-100223859-large.jpg

From what the CES review article states, this is going to be a console for the living room environment--Alienware and Valve were careful to work thermal management and low noise into a machine touted to meet or exceed the standards set by the PS4 and XboxOne.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084802/alienwares-first-steam-machine-very-black-and-very-shiny.html

If the Alienware Steam Machine gets too high in price, there will be an option of the Aurora X51 with a Steam OS as a more budget-conscious version.

alienware_x51-100223842-large.png

Those 300 few who got free Steam Machines last month are super lucky. I'm pretty jealous.

The Alienware looks cool, but I want to see who else has builds.

From what I have read, it seems open-ended on the hardware specifics. The line between PC gaming and console gaming might blur more as different Steam Machine builds are released.

when you get on steam and click on activity (under you screen name) on the january 6 date is a steam universe announcement.

alienware, alternate, cyberpowerpc, digital storm, falcon nw, gigabyte, ibuypower, maingear, material.net, next spa, origin pc, scan, webhallen, and zotac are all making first gen steam machines.

Yeah, I'm waiting until I see more specs and actual hardware from more companies. I'd still like to build my own though.

I think building a steam machine could be harder than it should be. Right now the OS sucks. Poeople are just starting to tinker with it and support is all but nonexistant. I'm ok with linux but not a pro by any means and its too buggy for me to figure out. The requirements suck for a linux distro as well - wanting a 1 tb disk seriously? I tried to install where I could dual boot and that wasn't happening either. I think I'll wait until they've finished with the beta phase or if it takes too long ibuypower is usually cheap on newegg!

Assuming the OS ends up being decent, it would be nice to have any console that can be upgraded. I think the last generations only possible upgrade was swapping a 7200 rpm laptop drive into the PS3 for a load time reduction.

If one were to boot a Windows machine with Steam on startup opening into Big Picture mode, would that approximate what the Steam Machines are going to offer?

Valve will work out the kinks. It'll be much better in a few months. I don't plan to build one anyways until it is officially released.

Grindspine said:
If one were to boot a Windows machine with Steam on startup opening into Big Picture mode, would that approximate what the Steam Machines are going to offer?

For the most part, yes. It'll be a full OS as well and will be able to run Linux apps. Most will be available to launch from BPM, like Netflix and Spotify.

Let me know how it goes, I'd be interested in others' experiences with the os. Right now I feel like with out some serious retooling it'll fall flat.