Battlefield 4

Joined Jun 2004
3K Posts | 0+
Indiana
Since MasterMario and SpartanEvolved suggested it, I ordered Battlefield 4. I'll have to let you all know how it is after I get it installed and get some play time on it.

players are ruthless on b4 kinda like on dota2. If you're not amazing you're getting the snot kicked out of you most of the game.

BV, MasterMario, and I played BF4 for several hours yesterday. The vehicle warfare seems very reminiscent of Unreal Tournament 2004 to me. On the downside, I feel like without being in a vehicle, it is almost impossible to take out someone in a vehicle, even with a rocket launcher. The other problem about being on foot in most of the open maps is that snipers can nail you from roughly two miles away if they have the 40x ballistic scope and modifications on a sniper rifle. I could not kill anything with the beginners' bolt-action sniper.

The maps that I did actually have a positive kill/death ratio were the more close-quarters maps where vehicles and snipers were not really playable. I think the map Chokepoint was my best one. That felt a lot more like the Counter-strike play that I am used to playing. The engineer's assault rifle seemed to be the best for my play style. The other classes had default weapons that just seemed awkward for me.

The graphics are great, but I did have one game crash due to a Direct X error. Also, Origin is a bit of a bandwidth hog. Latency wasn't too much of an issue though. I think my ping stayed around 80 on the servers I joined. It wasn't optimal, but definitely playable.

The first few games were definitely frustrating, but I can see how the game can get a bit more addicting and competitive after getting a few games under the belt.

I'm not a big fan of shooters anymore. I wanted to get back in with BF4 but all the issues it had put me off. Plus I don't like to give EA anymore money.

I'll wait until BF5 is released and to see how much better it runs with Mantle.

The most recent game informer made mention of the server issues and bugs that have plagued bf4.

The only server problem that I had was being kicked off of one because I was idle for two minutes while adjusting my microphone settings. Ping/latency was tolerable throughout.

I feel better about the game in general now that I unlocked the DMR. The bolt-action sniper rifle was such a pain to use. It was so hard to kill anything in one shot since a mortar or grenade anywhere nearby would throw my aim off-center. It is so much easier to engage infantry with a DMR; before unlocking it I was about to just give up on the game for the night. I am still such a long way from so many of the other unlocks. I have no idea what most of them even are at this point.

Yeah that is something I like about bf4 more than bf3 is that you just unlock something all the time.

And how long does it take to get the DMR cause yeah, sniping is a pain with the first rifle.