Official Japanese Language Thread!

Joined Mar 2007
8K Posts | 1+
Japan
If you're learning Japanese, come one, come all! I'm learning japanese (hardcore style! XD) now (because of fansubs making me mad...*grumble grumble*) Anyways, if you have problems or need help in this language, come here! ^_^

I can already tell this is a hard language but I will master it! XD

I'm learning by a podcast. It's cool because there are also notes you can download with the lessons. ^_^

I'm taking notes now (easier to remember and so far, I'm going with it pretty good.) I'm pleased with it. I also prefer writing the pronouncations if I can. I studied it for some hours last night and I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

I'm doing the same. I'm learning with J-pod 101 podcasts. I've also learned hiragana, but katakana is sooooo hard for me.

Hajimemashite!

Mai and I (and Jaded but he never posts) took Japanese 1 together last semester. We were enrolled in J2 this semester, but because very few people signed up for our class, the one we were in got canceled. :'( And because all the other classes were at bad times for us we couldn't get into another J2 class. So next semester we're trying again.

Aww. Well, I hope you guys get to do it. ^_^ How's J1? Is it just the basics and everything?

It really depends on the teacher. Our J1 teacher taught us hiragana and katakana, and even some kanji. When we went into J2 with a different teacher, she was going to teach katakana, so I guess she didn't normally teach it in J1.

Ah. I'm mainly going to focus on speaking it for now. I'll end up taking classes here (yes, there is a Japanese class for our age in this area) when I feel like I got the main aspects of the language down. Unless I feel like it's absolutely necessary if I need to do it.

Learning the hiragana and katakana help a lot. I still practice those almost every day to make sure I don't forget them just because I'm not in class right now. Also the vocabulary! I can't forget anything!!

Joyling said:
Learning the hiragana and katakana help a lot. I still practice those almost every day to make sure I don't forget them just because I'm not in class right now. Also the vocabulary! I can't forget anything!!
Geez, hard language huh? I'll just have to be diligent in my studies then senpai. :D

Nihongo no kurasu ni onna no hito ga yon nin imasu.

Nihongo no kurasu ni otoko no hito ga kyuu nin imasu.

Tell me what those mean without cheating and get a cookie! :D

Edit: added another just for fun...

Oosaka ni tomodachi ni ai ni imasu.

Um...uh....

*GAME OVER*

Can I have half a cookie? I hope I'll learn what it means someday. :)

Joyling said:
Graaaaahhh @ romaji!

your friend ... would love to go to Osaka ...?

Is it about me? :-X

Close enough. :lol

ai = the stem of au in ~mas form, which is to meet.

I agree, I think if you can, at least learn the hiragana. It will help a great deal with your speaking since you'll have a much better understanding of how the words are constructed. It helped me alot!

Yeah, and it's A LOT harder for me to read Romaji than Hiragana and Katakana once I learned them and I prefer to write that way. My teacher this semester is very lenient on which way you write.

One thing I really don't like about her methods is she doesn't go by the book when teaching Kanji and teaches ones that aren't in it. That makes it a lot harder for me.