I Hate Nintendo

Joined Jul 2004
976 Posts | 1+
USA
I loved the NES and SNES. They were a major part of my childhood. The Nintendo of those eras was a company i liked and respected. These days my views on them have changed. Why?

Lets look at a few of the Big N's first party GC titles shall we....
Paper Mario
Mario Sunshine
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Cart
Luigis Mansion
Smash Bros
Zelda windwaker
Metroid Prime/Echoes
Donkey Konga
ect ect

See a trend? The same old franchises from the early 80's and 90's are being remade over and over again with new packaging/graphics/gameplay.

The GC's big selling point is its 1st party games...3rd party support seems to consist mostly of ports from other systems, or multi-platform games. So why does Nintendo keep using the same old ideas, characters, franchises still in 2005? and taking a look at the DS's lineup it looks like the same type thing at this point.

I would like to see some truely NEW series on a Nintendo console, games actually made by Nintendo that did not have an old 80's/90's iconic character in them. I loved Mario and Zelda when i was a kid too...but we all grow up..so why doesn't Nintendo?

I'm sure this had been said before...but I just felt like saying it here because the forums seem dominated by Nintendo and GC related posts. I'm not trying to start a console war thread here either...just giving an opinion I guess.

Just seems as if Nintendo cannot come up with a new franchise, or ways to improve old ones honestly....I hated their transitions of games like Metroid Prime and Zelda Windwaker...I felt like the took completly wrong directions with those games..the two games I also thought could end up really getting me interested in Nintendo again.

I've owned 2 GC's so far...I do not plan on buying another...I still own NES and SNES, and play them often...but if Nintendo wants me to buy into a new console..they better come up with some fresh new ideas...and thats just me.

Dr_Ackula said:
I would like to see some truely NEW series on a Nintendo console, games actually made by Nintendo that did not have an old 80's/90's iconic character in them. I loved Mario and Zelda when i was a kid too...but we all grow up..so why doesn't Nintendo?
don't ask for flames :lol

but... lets say this..... Look at Disney.  For the Last 50 years.... they have been big on Goofy, Mickey, Minnie.....  and many of their other characters, no?

Its commercial suicide to stray from your most well known characters...... and whether we like it or not....  the bottom line is:
they sell big.

Unique titles you be looking for?
Eternal Darkness
Cubivore
Ikaruga
res evil series
all Nintendo's 1st party games
Final Fant CC
Super Monkey Ball 1/2
and many more.

and don't forget Nintendo's new animal crossing.  That is something different than they have ever done... and that game is very addictive.

I am not sure why people tend to overlook many of their great titles.  I do understand (to a point) of what you are saying, but at the same time I think a lot is overlooked on the system.

What would make people satisified with the system?  That is my question.
I don't know why... but I do enjoy the series of games.... I like playing more of the Mario, Zelda, ..etc.... thats just me though.

I will be honest though.... I haven't been that satisifed with the Gamecube (even though I own 75-80 games).... and I have been unsatisfied with console gaming lately. In fact, I haven't touched my Gamecube or any console for months now (except for 15 min here and there) ... and have been only playing pc games.

everything I see coming out is not interesting but a few titles (on all 3 systems).

†B†V† :hat

Re: I Hate Nintendo (flame away)

Hmm... well written, gave many titles for examples, and got the point out quickly. I think I'll give it an 8.5/10, but that may have to be modified once people start responding.

Bluevoodu said:
but... lets say this..... Look at Disney. For the Last 50 years.... they have been big on Goofy, Mickey, Minnie..... and many of their other characters, no?

Its commercial suicide to stray from your most well known characters...... and whether we like it or not.... the bottom line is:
they sell big.

Disney has had much more succes with new characters in my opinion...the little mermaid..the lion king..aladdin..Peter Pan..ect......Disney is constantly changing their characters and images. Mickey Mouse is rarely ever even featured in a Disney title now unless its as an icon only.

Unique titles you be looking for?
Eternal Darkness
Ikaruga
res evil series
all Nintendo's 1st party games
Final Fant CC
Super Monkey Ball 1/2
and many more.

Eternal Darkness was aweful..but yes I will admit new..but that wasn't a first party title was it?
Ikaruga was great...it was also a port of a Dreamcast game...
Resident Evil is another tired old horse I'd like to see put to sleep..and still this was not a 1st party Nintendo game either..
Final Fantasy...a game that requires 4 friends and 4 GBA's to play properly..ummm no thanks..and AGAIN not a 1st party title..
Super Monkey Ball...another port of a Dreamcast game...and STILL not a 1st party title...

My point was not whether or not the GC had good titles....but that Nintendo as a developer and publisher of titles were doing nothing but rehashing old ideas, giving them new gameplay, and updated graphics.

As a system the GC had promise...thats a fact..it performs very well..and as you mentioned..there are a number of games available that are great..if you do not already own the originals they were ported or remade from...

My whole post wasn't about the system though...but the way Nintendo shamelessly rehashes the same old characters and games on every console they have put out since NES.

So just to clarify...I'm not hating on the Gamecube system..but on Nintendo's 1st party games.

Dr. Ackula had some good points. Resident Evil and Final Fantasy are old franchises as well.

I think the point of what he's getting at is that Nintendo needs new heros. Granted, I like seeing the old characters in Mario Kart and Mario Golf. But, Nintendo hasn't made a new character for people to enjoy for a long time, probably not since Wario and Waluigi.

Look at how often an entertainment industry like, say, WWE wrestling brings in new characters to play parts. That's just one example.

Sure, Mario and Sonic are great. The Master Chief is very cool. More new blood needs to be put into the mix though.

Grindspine said:
Dr. Ackula had some good points. Resident Evil and Final Fantasy are old franchises as well.

I think the point of what he's getting at is that Nintendo needs new heros. Granted, I like seeing the old characters in Mario Kart and Mario Golf. But, Nintendo hasn't made a new character for people to enjoy for a long time, probably not since Wario and Waluigi.

Look at how often an entertainment industry like, say, WWE wrestling brings in new characters to play parts. That's just one example.

Sure, Mario and Sonic are great. The Master Chief is very cool. More new blood needs to be put into the mix though.

Yeah, but we don't want them to completely die out like Crash Bandicoot did. He's not in anymore games (that I know of) and no one speaks of him anymore. It is still good that they keep alive the classic heroes/heroines to keep the memories and whatnot.

But they should come up with a few new ones now and then.

The newest franchise hero that people talk about is Halo's Master Chief. He's not goin' anywhere for a while. It's been a long time since a videogame hero has come out with a rabid following like that.

Grindspine said:
The newest franchise hero that people talk about is Halo's Master Chief. He's not goin' anywhere for a while. It's been a long time since a videogame hero has come out with a rabid following like that.
Yeah, but Halo was released 11/14/01 in NA. That's quite some time ago, and they had more than enough time to make other characters.

Oh well, I'll just take what I can get.

Nintendo created two new franchises this gen that I'm aware of: Animal Crossing and Pikmin.

Of course, since both were successful, they both got or are getting sequels (Pikmin 2 and Animal Crossing DS).

That's how success works though. If someone find something that works, it gets a sequel. Look at what's currently out or coming out:

Tony Hawk Underground 2, Need for Speed Underground 2, Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Xenosaga 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, etc.

And games that are new this generation that did well, like Fable, are sure to get sequels, too.

I see what you are saying and I mostly agree: I'd like to see some new franchises as well. But I want to see new franchises from everyone; rehashes and sequels is not something that only Nintendo is doing. It's an industry-wide problem. So if people want to hold Nintendo to this standard, that's fine, but at least be fair about it and apply it to the whole industry.

Mai Valentine said:
I see what you are saying and I mostly agree: I'd like to see some new franchises as well. But I want to see new franchises from everyone; rehashes and sequels is not something that only Nintendo is doing. It's an industry-wide problem. So if people want to hold Nintendo to this standard, that's fine, but at least be fair about it and apply it to the whole industry.

I agree that the whole industry is in the same boat as with this...but I was just saying how Nintendo's main games are..and always have been their 1st party games...and that I'd just like to see something new from them..

I honestly forgot about Pikmin too...although I didn't really like it...or Animal Crossing...those are two good examples..

I guess I was too harsh...I'm just sick to death of Mario games! :lol

Grindspine said:
The newest franchise hero that people talk about is Halo's Master Chief.  He's not goin' anywhere for a while.  It's been a long time since a videogame hero has come out with a rabid following like that.
is Master chief really a mascot though?    More people know Halo 2 as Halo 2 instead of that game with Master chief... I would think?

Anyway... Nintendo's characters still have a very strong following.  Watch When the new Zelda comes out.  It may not sell as much as Halo 2 1st day... but its going to make some massive #'s.

I don't know... I am all for sequals.....  and reusing characters.  It really makes things fun.  YEah... it can be rehashing, but at the same time.... if people like the characters... its going to be great.

I think Nintendo did a pretty good job on catching up from the N64 3rd party failure. You gotta remember.... they were coming from a time when they lost A TON of 3rd party support.

Bluevoodu said:
is Master chief really a mascot though?    More people know Halo 2 as Halo 2 instead of that game with Master chief... I would think?

Of course Master Chief is a mascot. He's as essential to Microsoft's flagship games as Sonic was to Sega IMHO.

Dr_Ackula said:

So would I. That's what I'vew been saying for ages.

And whoever said Eternal Darkness was awful - blasphemy.

Eternal Darkness is the single best title for the GC. Better than ANY Resident Evil title - including RE 4

I don't know ... better than RE4?!

Thats gonna be a hard one... the game is getting nearly a perfect 10.

I saw some final Vids of RE 4.... and I am AMAZED beyond belief.

Eternal Darkness is awesome though :D definitely one of those nice titles to have.

Animal Crossing was unique and one of the MOST addictive games that I have played. I would rank it up there in addictiveness with Diablo 1 (at least for me).

I hear about how some people think that there are too many sequels rather than new and innovative games. Well, I have a thought on that: I don't think it's necessarily that developers are coming up with less creative ideas, but that there are a lot of favorites that people want more of. Star Fox, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc. People love and want more of these games, so they take more of the spotlight than the new things that come out.

That's from an issue of Nintendo Power, as quoted from someone on the NSider forums (forums.nintendo.com).

And I agree to some point on that. The reason why we keep seeing certain franchises is because enough people still care about them. I like new stuff but I grew to love Nintendo because of the Zelda franchise, so if they ever stopped making that, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Err, it's really no different than PS2 and it's GTA's, Final Fantasy's, Metal Gear's, etc, etc. I know your talking 1st party titles but still, it's the same principle. Nintendo seem's to know it's fan base pretty well and they also know darn well that if they got rid of Mario, Zelda, etc, they would lose a major part of their fan base. I mean, do you think Rockstar is going to just stop making GTA games?: of course not, it makes them money. Now, the day these franchises stop producing income, that's when you'll see a change. So in all reality, don't be mad at Nintendo, be mad at people like me who will buy any Zelda or Mario that comes out ;)

Why can't Nintendo please the old fans with updates to franchises, while coming up with new games and characters as well? Animal Crossing was originally on the 64, so it's not really "new" in a GC sense, and Pikmin didn't really have memorable characters, you could have substituted a number of different characters for "Olimar" and they probably would have been a lot cooler.

What I don't get about Nintendo is that they try to innovate with their franchises. I know this is the old WW arguement, but why would they alienate fans of the franchise with "unique gameplay and visuals" instead of creating an entirely new game and pumping out a carbon-copy Zelda with better graphics? People that are going to buy the next Zelda probably would have anyway, so it doesn't need to be a landmark title, it just has to be nostalgic. Save all the new and fresh ideas for new and fresh games. And for the love of all that is holy, if you come up with a way to control an army of 100 units on screen at one time don't make that army a bunch of flowers. Honestly, could they have made it any sissier!? Make them soldiers, or some kind of intimidating animals, or just give the pikmin guns or swords, anything! Its hard to feel like you won a battle with a giant monster when you literally won it with flower power...

stealth toilet said:
Why can't Nintendo please the old fans with updates to franchises, while coming up with new games and characters as well? Animal Crossing was originally on the 64, so it's not really "new" in a GC sense, and Pikmin didn't really have memorable characters, you could have substituted a number of different characters for "Olimar" and they probably would have been a lot cooler.

What I don't get about Nintendo is that they try to innovate with their franchises. I know this is the old WW arguement, but why would they alienate fans of the franchise with "unique gameplay and visuals" instead of creating an entirely new game and pumping out a carbon-copy Zelda with better graphics? People that are going to buy the next Zelda probably would have anyway, so it doesn't need to be a landmark title, it just has to be nostalgic. Save all the new and fresh ideas for new and fresh games. And for the love of all that is holy, if you come up with a way to control an army of 100 units on screen at one time don't make that army a bunch of flowers. Honestly, could they have made it any sissier!? Make them soldiers, or some kind of intimidating animals, or just give the pikmin guns or swords, anything! Its hard to feel like you won a battle with a giant monster when you literally won it with flower power...

Looks like someone has masculinity issues.

If I have to prove my manliness by playing videogames targeted at 8 year old girls, then I guess I'm just not a very big man. Seriously, I played Pikmin, I even bought it, and beat it a couple times through. It was a good game, but it could have been that much better, and attracted that much of a bigger audience, if the characters in the game weren't aimed to appeal to a younger audience. Plus it would have made it a hell of a lot more fun.