PSA: When it comes to Final Fantasy

Joined Jun 2004
11K Posts | 0+
Georgia
This is a rant about how too many old school Final Fantasy fans are snobs.

snob: (noun) - a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field.

Every time I turn around, one of them is talking crap about FFX or FFXIII or sometimes FFXII (that’s more rare, though, for some reason) and basically saying that anyone who actually likes those games has poor taste and that Square Enix sucks and nothing past FFIX is worth playing.

Poor taste.

Let me re-emphasize that a moment here. If you are someone that enjoyed FFX, FFXII, or FFXIII, you have poor taste because an old school FF fan said so.

Now tell me, doesn't that fit the definition of snob?

I think so.

I prefer to think of it as different taste.

Different.

It’s been a little over a couple of decades since the first Final Fantasy came out. Of course it has changed over the years. Old school FF fans hate it now, but new generations of gamers like the new Final Fantasy games. So it's not that the game is bad, it's that old FF fans want the games to be something they aren't. If you play a game, take off the nostalgia glasses and enjoy the game for what it is instead of for what you wish it was.

tl:dr - If you used to love FF but hate it now - I'll respect that you hate them if you respect that I don't.

Interesting. Personally my favorite FF games are III(DS) IV and IX and I played a lot of the old school Final Fantasy titles.

However I am the kind of person who embraces change in this series so when I played X I liked it because it was different, I liked XII for the same reason and I liked XIII because it was the cinematic experience I wanted out of a videogame.

I know for a fact no FF game that comes out will match the feeling of joy I felt when I played IV because nostalgia clouds my judgment in that case. But instead of dissing every new final fantasy for not matching unrealistic expectations I judge it for what it is as a game.

Thank you for making this post, I was feeling like I was the only one who though old FF fans (sometimes FFVII fans) were snobs

Actually a lot of the snobs won't even give praise to FF9, which I thought was an amazing game. I think what it is with snobs is that they feel like "their" series has been dumbed down to appeal to the masses, but that's usually not even the case. FFX was one of the most hardcore games I've ever played! If anything praise should be given for the fact that they can continue to make good games in the series that aren't simply clones of previous games. Sort of like the Zelda series. You have snobs who put down anything after A Link to The Past, but I think they've done an amazing job at creating a whole new experience with each game, yet retaining that same "Zelda" feel.

Either way, snobs suck :p

Even though I see the FF games as a series, I do not see them as a continuation of characters and story. Therefore my perspective concerning the “FF games” is that each game individually stands on its own. I have no problem playing the older games or the newer ones. There are elements of each game that are passed on that do give it that FF feel to them. I find that some games I like and some I do not, for example I never liked the FF VII. But I really enjoyed FF IX, loved that game. (I agree with you x2, it is an amazing game) I like the older games with their old school RPG gameplay. But I do not limit myself as a gamer to the older RPGs. I think the series has such diversity to its games that individual games can appeal to a lot of gamers, that have differences in their tastes when it comes to gaming, and gamers can have their favorite within that series.

I think my favorites would be FF 2 (SNES-US), FF IX, and FF XII.

(I think FF2 in US was FF4 in Japan)

x2 said:
Actually a lot of the snobs won't even give praise to FF9, which I thought was an amazing game. I think what it is with snobs is that they feel like "their" series has been dumbed down to appeal to the masses, but that's usually not even the case.

Yeah, Joy and I were talking about it, and there are even some fans that don't like anything past VI; they shun FFVII because it is the one that made the series more popular. Joy was like "Final Fantasy hipsters!"

Mai Valentine said:
Yeah, Joy and I were talking about it, and there are even some fans that don't like anything past VI; they shun FFVII because it is the one that made the series more popular. Joy was like "Final Fantasy hipsters!"

Sometimes however we get the opposite. people who won't even look at anything before VII because they are too old school (same can be said of the shin megami tensei series) either way hipster/snob might be the right word xD

Sucks.

If you like Final Fantasy you're a dork. There, I said it. I don't care what that makes me. Nobody cares what dorks think anyway.

:lol

For serious though, I think most people here are familiar with my stance on Final Fantasy, which if you don't it is basically that I just don't get FF games, so I clearly have no business saying anything in a thread like this. I just wanted to make a funny.

I don't think anyone here actually is a dork, by the way. But I will contend that liking Final Fantasy doesn't contribute to making you less of a dork. Think about it. ::)

Stealth, that was a super dorky response. :p

Mai Valentine said:
Joy was like "Final Fantasy hipsters!"

(In a hipster voice) Yeah, well, I liked Final Fantasy back when it was on the NES.

stealth toilet said:
Sucks.

If you like Final Fantasy you're a dork. There, I said it. I don't care what that makes me. Nobody cares what dorks think anyway.

:lol

For serious though, I think most people here are familiar with my stance on Final Fantasy, which if you don't it is basically that I just don't get FF games, so I clearly have no business saying anything in a thread like this. I just wanted to make a funny.

I don't think anyone here actually is a dork, by the way. But I will contend that liking Final Fantasy doesn't contribute to making you less of a dork. Think about it. ::)

You don't seem to "get" a lot of games :lol

x2 said:
You don't seem to "get" a lot of games :lol

Probably true. I'm always curious to find out more about why people like things that I don't, especially when a lot of people like something I don't. I think that's more interesting than playing the games I do like, even. Hence, I like talking to ya'll. :D

I like the fact that the battle system is always changing. It makes it more fun; and if people want to be stuck on the previous system they should just go buy and play the older games. I really love FFXII and FFXIII. I'm playing FFXIII currently and I'm rebuying XII since I loved it soo much.