General multitap questions

Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts | 0+
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but this looked like the only appropriate sub-forum to post this in.  I could have posted seperate questions in each of the different game system sub-forums, but that would have gotten annoying.  Anyway, here goes:

I've been working on a collection now for about a year.  It consists of 9 different systems, a ton of accessories, and a whole bunch of games.  I'd get into details, but that would take a long time.  Anyway, I recently noticed that I was missing a key accessory for some of the systems; a multitap.

To my knowlage, of the systems I own, there exists a multitap for the NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, and PS2.  The other systems I have (N64, GC, DC, Xbox) all have 4 ports built in, and I have never seen a multitap for any of them.  If I am wrong, please correct me.

Anyway, back to the multitaps I need.  For the NES, there was the wired one and the wireless one, correct?  It both cases, I believe it occupies both controller ports, and only creates 4 new ones, therefore it would seem to me that a NES game can only ever have a max of 4 simeltaneous players.  If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know, with an example if you have it.

For the Genesis, I've seen three different ones.  There appears to be an official Sega one, a third-party one, and a revamped version of the Sega one.  From what I've heard, the newer Sega one is the best, and I think it only occupies 1 slot.  That would mean if you have 2, up to 8 people could play.  My question is are there any Genesis games that support more than 5 players (or 4 for that matter)???   Bassically I just want to know if I should get two multitaps, and how many controllers I will need.

For the SNES, same deal as the Genesis bassically.  There are a few different versions, and they all only take up one slot.  So again, are their any SNES games that actually support more than 5 players and thus warrent me getting additional controllers?  Also, I've seen a 5-port SNES multitap on Ebay, which would give you a total of 10 ports with two of them.  Anyone know anything about that?

For the PS2, same again.  Plugs into one port, gives you 4.  So two of them would give you 8.  I know I've seen some 6-player PS2 games, but are there any 7-8 player ones?  Also, will a PS2 multitap work when you are playing a PS1 game with PS1 memory cards, or would I have to go find two of the old PS1 multipaps too?

For the Saturn, similar but a bit different.  Plugs into one port, gives you 6.  So thats 12 total ports with two of them.  I know there are some Saturn games like Bomberman that support 10 players, but are there any that support 11-12?

Thanks in advance for the help.  I'll have to post some pics of my collection some day so you can all share in the beauty... ;)

I dont know much about multi-taps, but I do believe that sports games like madden take advantage of the 7-8 player slots.

Well, if I knew what system you were talking about... ;)

Anyway, I'd kinda like some difinitive answers if anyone has them.  Bassically, just fill in the blanks if you know the exact answer:
(likewise, if any of the numbers I have filled in are wrong, let me know!)

NES:  Can use   1    multitap for a total of   4  controller ports.  Up to   4    of these can be used in games like examples here.
SNES:  Can use   2?    multitaps for a total of   8?  controller ports.  Up to        of these can be used in games like         .
Genesis:  Can use   2?    multitaps for a total of   8?  controller ports.  Up to        of these can be used in games like         .
Saturn:  Can use   2?    multitaps for a total of   12?  controller ports.  Up to        of these can be used in games like         .
PS2:  Can use   2?    multitaps for a total of   8?  controller ports.  Up to        of these can be used in games like         .

If I can get that filled out some day, then I'll know exactly how many controllers total I will need.

It sucks that you cant use the multitap from PSX and use it on PS2, got to buy a whole new one. :mad:

Royce Da 5 9 said:
It sucks that you cant use the multitap from PSX and use it on PS2, got to buy a whole new one. :mad:

It sucks that you cant use the old PS2 one with the new slim PS2. :mad:

alrighty... don't forget the Team Tap for the Atari Jaguar :)

For up to 4 players.  I don't know a game that does more than 4 players.... EXCEPT there is 1 game... I forget the name right now.  It allows 16 or 32 players, BUT you have to have the Jag link and some kinf of connector for the jag link to link many jaguars together.  No More than 2 players per system for that game though.

According to the team tap instructions... there could theoretically be 2 team taps used per controller port for a total of 8 players. I don't think ANY game took advantage of this though... not to my recollection.

Why oh why must game names slip my mind.... battlesphere?  is that is?  meh.. dangit...  :hh :hh

BV :hat

Thanks, but unfortunatly the Jaguar is not currently part of my collection. After spending a few K on all the stuff I have, I deceded 9 systems was enough. ;) Maybe some day though...

Aww... you cannot forget the Atari Jaguar! Tempest 2000 ALONE is a reason to the system :)

There aren't many real good games on it.. but there are some important titles that rock on that system

Basically all the 16 bit systems up through the 32 bit systems you were talking about have a limited amount of games that can have 8 players. The saturn is an exception like you've already said, and it had some funky amount, i think 12 was right, but i never had a saturn game that'd do that many, althought i never did have bomberman so i don't know. The newest madden game says it supports 8 people (ps2) I don't know about xbox (via multitap anyway) because I don't think they make one, however with system links and / or online play you can have lots and lots and lots of players!

the one multitap for the ps2 has five ports techniqually, though i doubt there are any 10 person games outside of lan
bomberman for snes was really good, but were there any good four player nes games?

Well, the multitap itself doesn't have 5 ports. It has 4, but plus the one free port on the console, makes 5 total. Using two multitaps gives you 8 ports total, not 10. Regardless, it sounds like there are indeed some 8-player games for the PS2. I wonder though, if anyone knows if the black PS2 multitap will work on a PS2, using PS games and memory cards, or does it only work with PS2 games and memory cards?