PS2 power cord recall!!!

Joined Jun 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Louisburg, NC, USA
Hey all,
Last night while I was plugging away at a project for the Nintendo section, and listening to the news at the same time, I stopped because soemthing caught my attention. The story was about the power cord adaptors for the PS2. Between I believe April of 2004, and August of 2005 production dates, the power cord has been recalled for possible melt downs and fires. I checked mine, because I purchased it in April of 2005, but nothing seems to be wrong. I believe this is more a customer concession program rather than a full-on recall like the media has said. This weekend I'm going to see where I need to take it back to get a new one just in case, and I'd advise anyone else who has a PS2 to check into it also.

dang. Do you have a link to the document describing it?

I'll move this to the Ps2 section in a couple days... but for now, more people will see it in the general discussion section.

Bv :hat

I thought about that right after I hit the post button. I'll dig it up from the news station's web site.

As for the Sony section, good idea. I thought of that too. But in the General Discussion page, more people will see it.

BTW, BV, the thing at the bottom of the page is periodically doing it again...

Maybe a news SNAFU?? Because after a search, this is what I found on Geartest.com...

Xbox Fire Hazard: Power cord recall
Geartest.com Staff
Updated March 11, 2005.

Microsoft has recalled 14.1 million power cables due to a fire hazard, following reported injuries and property damage caused by defective electrical components.

The recall affects more than 70% of an estimated 20 million consoles sold since the product launched in November 2001.

Electrical problems with 30 consoles worldwide have caused injury or property damage, Microsoft said in a Feb. 17 press release. The company has documented seven cases where customers reported burns to their hands and 23 cases where customers reported smoke damage, carpet damage or entertainment center damage.

Microsoft estimates that to-date as many as 1410 consoles have had some sort of electrical component failure that resulted in Xbox equipment damage.

Xbox console owners have been directed to the Xbox Web site to place their orders via the Power Cord Replacement for Xbox page. Owners without Internet access are instructed to call the appropriate toll-free number for their country.

Microsoft says it will deliver the cables to Xbox owners two to four weeks after ordering their replacement power cords.

The company has instructed users to turn off their Xbox consoles when not in use or if left unattended.

"We regret the inconvenience, but believe offering consumers a free replacement is the responsible thing to do," Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the Home & Entertainment Division, said in the press release.

EDITORS NOTE: We have provided links to the Xbox Web site, the Replacement Cord program site and toll-free telephone numbers to help you contact Microsoft to obtain your replacement power cord.

This is from http://www.wftv.com/technology/4966389/detail.html?rss=orlc&psp=technology

Power Cords For Slim PS2 Can Overheat

POSTED: 9:51 am EDT September 13, 2005

Sony says it is recalling millions of AC adaptors sold with the slim version of its PlayStation 2 following cases of overheating and melting.

Several hundred thousand were sold in the U.S.

The company said it has received reports of 38 cases of adaptors overheating and melting in North America. It said in an online explainer about the recall that overheated units sometimes emitted smoke or odors, or melted their plastic housing.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said there have been four reports of minor property damage and two reports of minor burns and one of a minor shock.

The CPSC said consumers should stop using the recalled adaptors immediately and contact Sony to get a free replacement.

The possibly faulty products were sold after October 2004.

You can call Sony at (888) 780-7690 or visit http://www.us.playstation.com/Adaptor to see if you have a recalled product.

Sorry for all the posts. I didn't think they'd all fit, and for soem reason the "modify" button isn't on my screen...

I also got word from my supplier....... This is a pretty big recall. Sony isn't sure which cables it actually applies to.. or which shipment they sent out so they are recalling most of them.

Bv :hat

Here's the skinny on what Sony has to say. I checked mine, and it's not on the list.

PLAYSTATION®2 (MODEL # SCPH-70011 and 70012) AC ADAPTOR REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Please note: This program does not apply to the PSone or the PSP systems.

Sony Computer Entertainment America, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product and Safety Commission, is voluntarily replacing PlayStation 2 (Model# SCPH-70011 and 70012) AC Adaptors (SCPH-70100) manufactured by Hipro Electronics free of charge. The affected AC Adaptors were packaged with the SCPH-70011 and 70012 models of the PlayStation®2 entertainment system sold after October 2004. Only AC Adaptors manufactured by Hipro Electronics identified with a serial number that begins with the prefix ”F3” within a certain date range are included in this replacement program.

To verify whether or not your PlayStation 2 console requires a replacement AC Adaptor, you will need the following information:

PlayStation 2 model number
PlayStation 2 barcode number
AC Adaptor Manufacturer
AC Adaptor Date of Manufacture

No need for me to do this 'cause I have the early verison of the PS2. Stupid power cords! Why couldn't it be Xbox or Gamecube instead? Putting PS2 down! Grr...:mad:

Um, Bman, read up on the second post. It says:
Dart said:
Maybe a news SNAFU?? Because after a search, this is what I found on Geartest.com...

Xbox Fire Hazard: Power cord recall
Geartest.com Staff
Updated March 11, 2005.

Microsoft has recalled 14.1 million power cables due to a fire hazard, following reported injuries and property damage caused by defective electrical components.

The recall affects more than 70% of an estimated 20 million consoles sold since the product launched in November 2001.

Electrical problems with 30 consoles worldwide have caused injury or property damage, Microsoft said in a Feb. 17 press release. The company has documented seven cases where customers reported burns to their hands and 23 cases where customers reported smoke damage, carpet damage or entertainment center damage.

Microsoft estimates that to-date as many as 1410 consoles have had some sort of electrical component failure that resulted in Xbox equipment damage.

Xbox console owners have been directed to the Xbox Web site to place their orders via the Power Cord Replacement for Xbox page. Owners without Internet access are instructed to call the appropriate toll-free number for their country.

Microsoft says it will deliver the cables to Xbox owners two to four weeks after ordering their replacement power cords.

The company has instructed users to turn off their Xbox consoles when not in use or if left unattended.

"We regret the inconvenience, but believe offering consumers a free replacement is the responsible thing to do," Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the Home & Entertainment Division, said in the press release.

EDITORS NOTE: We have provided links to the Xbox Web site, the Replacement Cord program site and toll-free telephone numbers to help you contact Microsoft to obtain your replacement power cord.
At least the PS2 cords aren't causing personal injury or burning down entertainment centers!! :D

Bman409 said:
No need for me to do this 'cause I have the early verison of the PS2. Stupid power cords! Why couldn't it be Xbox or Gamecube instead? Putting PS2 down! Grr...:mad:

Um dont you remember it did happen to the xbox? And the GC, say what you want about the games, but it's built the best out of all of them.

Plus, this is Sony's fault. Nobody is putting the PS2 down but themselves.

I remember when this happened to the xbox. I cant remember when I got my ps2, I think it was a few months after it came out.

creepindeth04 said:
Um dont you remember it did happen to the xbox? And the GC, say what you want about the games, but it's built the best out of all of them.

Plus, this is Sony's fault. Nobody is putting the PS2 down but themselves.
Nope I dont remember that happening to the other consoles, I think this was when I was under a rock and playing games nonstop. Why cant manufactors just get things right the first time? Ya' know the whole deal with the PSP as well, its really annoying when they're all trying to make callbacks.

It could be supply and demand problems where there's too much demand and not enough supply. And they are attempting to make parts faster and skip the QC end. It coould be the overall cost of manufacturing certain parts. Or it could be that Sony outsourrced it's power cord production to a company that cut quality so they could make more money. I personally think it's the last assumption.

At least the PS2 cords aren't causing personal injury or burning down entertainment centers!!

Although it sounds REALLY far-fetched, a friend of mine at school (who's now in college) claimed his Xbox Hard Drive just shot out.

Nova said:
Although it sounds REALLY far-fetched, a friend of mine at school (who's now in college) claimed his Xbox Hard Drive just shot out.

Could happen, hard drives are pretty sensitive. A game save could've corrupted his HD.