Xbox problem...

Status
Closed
Joined Jun 2005
7K Posts | 0+
Louisburg, NC, USA
Okay, the Xbox that I got from a buddy of mine is acting up.

Saturday night I hooked the thing up and turned on the power. Got the Xbox screen followed by a screen that says, "This Xbox unit requires service. Please contact Microsoft for details" , or something like that.

Now, can I run a lens cleaner through it? The Xbox had some dust on it, and from how my buddy talked about it, it sounded like it worked the last time he played it. And I do trust him because he has never given me a reason to doubt him at all.

Or, since I didn't have a controller hooked up to it, should I just have plugged in a controller in the first place and this would have never happened??

Ir should I just use the Xbox for target pracice (Since the games and other stuff in my opinion was worth it alone for the trade) and buy another one??

It wasnt a disk read error?  Usually if its a problem with the laser itll be a disk read error.

Was the xbox light flashing red and green?  Did the dvd drive sound like it was running?

Well, the reason I ask about the dvd drive is because I bought a cheap xbox off my buddy for 10 bucks the other day since he said it didnt work well....it wouldnt run at all when i first turned it on, but i took it apart and noticed the dvd drive wasnt connected so that was a quick fix (even though the laser doesnt read well).

Well, I turn it on, and the Xbox screen comes on. I open the disk tray and pop in a disk, and close it up. Sometimes the disk tray will open and shut a few times, and then I get a screen that says "Your Xbox needs attention" and nothing happens. I turn it off and turn it back on again. I can hear the disk try to spin (or spin) and the tray stays closed. But each time I get the flashing red and green light.

Is it easy to pull apart and clean if this is the problem?

I dont think its a laser problem causing it because if it were I would think it would simply give you a disk reading error. But....there are 6 long screws on the bottom of the xbox, then i think 2 or 3 holding down the top of the disk drive.....its not difficult to take apart, if i can do it, you can. :p :lol

After doing some google reading it sounds like you could have a fried Hard drive or Nvidia chip too....except for i dont think that explains why it opens and shuts.

Did he try to mod it? That could have been a problem.

Did he try to mod it? That could have been a problem.

That's the question that I am going to ask today at work.

I did a search also, and according to Wikipedia, Microsoft used off the shelf PC parts in the Xbox. So hopefully it won't be as tough to fix as a regular PC.

Okay here's my fix. I go to work today and my buddy is there. I ask why my Xbox is not working. He says, "Really?? No big deal. Just bring it to work tomorrow and I'll give you another one." I'm thinking, great. Are these stolen?? I ask, "Why do you have two?" He says, 'I have four actually. I have family members with more dollars than sense, and they don't communicate really well. Two years ago I got two Xboxes for Christmas and last year I got two more."

So tomorrow he's giving me another one. But this time he's also giving me the DVD player adaptor. I guess this deal is getting sweeter by the minute. :D

Ze box works!!

Yesterday I went to Game Stop (Yes, I hate the place. Yes, I am stupid) and found a controller wire for $5, and I also found Fable for $10. And I couldn't pass that up.

So last night I come home with the new Xbox, and find my brother-in-law in the livingroom with my PS2. I'm thinking, dangit!! Why can't I hook it up to the big TV?? And why is he at my house?? So into my bedroom I go. I plug it in, turn it on and feed it a game. And I proceed to play into the night.

Now, how do I hook it up to XBL?? Who do I have to pay?? And is it worth it since it's not a 360??

You gotta have broadband.......dial-up wont work.

Go to Best Buy or something and get one of those Xbox live starter kits (actually, BV sells them for cheaper so you could buy them from him, i think they run for $70 at best buy and $55 here.: http://www.egameaddiction.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51&zenid=10c48427e1d29771d16ee83eef04d6d9): it comes with a subscription for 12 months, a headset, and some sort of game.

Then hook up a Cat5 cable to your router and plug it into your xbox...click the xbox live button in the menu, and begin to register.  Youll also need access to a credit card (even though it wont be charged because of the subscription card) just because if you want to add time after it expires you can do it with the credit card.

Im thinking about getting XBL soon. I might just wait until the 360/

Oh....and you can transfer your account to the 360 if you happen to get one....but, they cannot be transfered back to the Xbox.

Status
Closed